Re: [pygame] Getting Pygame Dependencies Installed in Panther (Mac)

On Dec 9, 2003, at 5:41 PM, Jeff Mallett wrote:

As recommended, I upgraded to OS10.3 and to the latest MacPython/Pygame stuff. Eventually I did get it working (I think) with the Python included in the OS, albeit not with the latest version of Numeric.

For those that are interested, below I've included a log of the various errors, problems, and confusions I encountered along the way. For adoption of python/pygame on the Mac, making it so that newbies can easily get the development environment initially installed is probably the most important thing, more important than more features. In my case, I already been using Pygame for several months in Windows.
It would've been a lot easier if you had just used google and searched for WriteableBin (or clicked the "Show hidden packages" button, and looked at the description for WriteableBin).
Perhaps, but I went through an hour worth of error messages before I got to the first one that even mentioned WriteableBin. Certainly I'd already given up on Numeric by then. In any case, none of this is meant as any sort of complaint at all, just a constructive FYI since whatever I run into 30 others are likely to run into as well.
Did you click "Overwrite" in PackageManager? That doesn't work most of the time. If you need to stomp on another install of something (though if your version was older it should've let you upgrade without choosing "Overwrite"), you need to remove what you have (/Library/Python/2.3/Numeric and Numeric.pth in this case), quit PackageManager, open it back up, point it to the right repository, then install the package. If you upgrade a package, it will still say you have the old one until you restart PackageManager... so maybe you saw that and went through this trouble even though you didn't really have a problem.

Yes, PackageManager has a lot of nasty bugs, but it's generally easier than building stuff yourself. You should've asked someone (pythonmac-sig@python.org, or the MacPython AIM channel) when you had problems or searched a little harder :)

-bob