[pygame] SDL_ttf render failed

I'm trying to get pydance http://icculus.org/pyddr/
based on pygame working on a Redhat 9.0 system.  When
I try to start it I'm getting :

> 0 joystick(s) found.
> pydance 0.8.2 <pydance-discuss@icculus.org> -
irc.freenode.net/#pyddr
> Psyco optimizing compiler found. Using psyco.full().
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/opt/local/games/pydance", line 130, in ?
> if __name__ == '__main__': main()
> File "/opt/local/games/pydance", line 96, in main
> fileparsers.SongItem, (False,))
> File "/opt/local/games/pydance", line 40, in
load_files
> pbar = fontfx.TextProgress(FONTS[60], message,
colors.WHITE, colors.BLACK)
> File
"/opt/local/games/../share/games/pydance/fontfx.py",
line 112, in __init__
> self.text = font.render(message, 0, (255,0,0),
self.notcolor)
> pygame.error: SDL_ttf render failed

Looking back through the pygame mail archives, back in
June Lorcan Hamill reported (
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/1680617
)
>> I think you need to "downgrade" freetype to version
2.1.2.  Bizarre, I
>> know, but it seems that 2.1.3 is "broken" from
SDL_ttf's point of view,
>> and 2.1.4 hasn't fixed it.  I had the same problem
on RedHat 9, and the
>> downgrade sorted it out.

I tried that, downgrading to the freetype 2.1.2 RPMs
that were part of Redhat 8.0.  But since June, when it
was apparently successful for Lorcan, Redhat's
XFree86-libs-4.3.0 and pango-1.2 rpms have developed a
dependency on freetype 2.1.3 and forcing the install
past that dependency really messes up the XFree86
server.

I also tried upgrading to the freetype 2.1.4 RPMs that
are part of Fedora 1 but while that doesn't mess up
XFree86, it doesn't fix the pygame problem either.

Has anyone successfully worked around this issue on
Redhat 9 since June?

Here's the list of RPM's I installed (and where I got
them from) trying to get pydance working:

pygame-1.5.6-1
http://www.pygame.org/download.shtml
SDL-1.2.6-1
http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php
SDL-devel-1.2.6-1
http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php
SDL_image-1.2.3-1
http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_image/
SDL_image-devel-1.2.3-1
http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_image/
SDL_mixer-1.2.5-1
http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/
SDL_mixer-devel-1.2.5-1
http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/
smpeg-0.4.4-1
http://www.lokigames.com/development/smpeg.php3 mirror
SDL_ttf-2.0.6-1
http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_ttf/
SDL_ttf-devel-2.0.6-1
http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_ttf/

Suggestions?  I'd like to get this working without
impacting the rest of the system.

--
Jonathan Doughty