Re: [pygame] Where Do I Go From Here?

Hello

After so many already wrote you I throw my 2 cents in: You gained a lot of 3D experience already and you dont feel well to create a RPG game like Zelda. IMHO your feeling is telling you right. Head to a 2D engine. I assume you want to create the game in the old style looking Zelda games, what means working with a kinda bird view perspective. A additioinal editor would allow you to create a very detailed world, that would probably harder than in 3D. The depth of such games is based on the paintings. Analyze some screenshots of such games and you will see how they are bringing colors in. A good manual is shown at: http://www.zoggles.co.uk/asp/tutorials.asp?tut=17&comments=yes (click on chapters below Contents). Its quite impressive what can be done by graphics. ;)

A 2D engine for such game types offers you some advantages:
- Easy extendsible world by creating/adding new graphic objects by the editor
- Get rid of 3D complexity
- 2D painted areas still look better/more cute than 3D objects covered by bitmaps
- 2D objects are easier to move/animate in Pygame
- No additional engine needed (well you have to create it then)
- Keep focused on AI, story etc. after 2D engine is written (you only need to create the world then, based on your story, quests, etc.)
- Animation of water, windmills, weather effects, etc. is a nice addon to give more game depth

A big "addict" factor of such games is based on the graphics (next to story and quests) and people will like/play it when that factor is eye catching. ;)

If you still experience slow area movement you can think of only displaying a part of the whole area. If the area is left you can display the adjacent area of the left area. If you dont care Python/ Pygame usage (how dare you! ;) ) you might use existing game engines like the one of garagegames, etc.

Greetiings
Farai