Re: [pygame] Adding Wii Remote support to pygame

robomancer wrote:
At the moment I am concentrating my efforts on the Linux platform, but expect to make a cross-platform compatability layer for Windows (and maybe Mac) once the initial effort is off the ground.

Thanks,
robomancer

Hey, Robomancer.
That sounds pretty awesome.

However, I have found, to put it bluntly, the current windows 'drivers' that are out for the wii-remote are not suitable for what I'd like to do. It's not being handled as a new input-device: the 'drivers' re-mapp its functionality onto default keyboard/mouse keypresses/motions/etc. Basically it's emulating existing input devices.
On top of that, it doesn't work with the microsoft Bluetooth stack, so people have to install BlueSoleil bluetooth stacks to use it.
(I'm referring to GlovePIE, if there is a better windows driver available, let me know!)

So I was starting to implement something that just gives people access to the data from the wii-remote, without using it to emulate other devices, by communicating with the Wii remote using pyBluez, only to realize that it depends on the Bluez module, which is linux-only. (yeah, silly me.)

I was considering using the pySerial module, because I hear you can use this to communicate with bluetooth devices as well.
I couldn't get the Wii remote to register a COM port, though, (through the windows Bluetooth stack manager thing). It seems to me that the way pySerial would interface with the device is that windows has some intermediate layer that pretends to be a serial port but actually forwards all communications from this 'virtual' port to the bluetooth device.
Does anyone know if this is correct?
Do you have to have the bluetooth device pretending to be a serial device in order to use pyserial to communicate with it?

I'd like to be able to write drivers for this, because otherwise I think you'll run into a lot of problems when you're trying to port this to Windows.
Anyway, thanks for any help anyone can offer in regards to pyserial with bluetooth devices.

Perhaps I'll try to write a C-module that can do this and wrap it in Python? I'm not really sure where to go from here.
-Luke