Re: [pygame] Scripting language

Bob Ippolito wrote:
On 12/19/06, Jakub Piotr CÅapa <jpc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Farai Aschwanden wrote:
> Hmm true for file opening. Adding paths needs the OS module, but you're
> right.
>
> I like the way Brian just sent before. I dont know any language that
> restricts its usage (would be neat feature for certain projects).

Check PLT-Scheme for example. Neko also seems securable. An of course
LPC (search for DGD). The endless loop thing can be solved by
multithreading and killing any threads that run to long.

That's not really a solution, pthreads can't be reliably killed. You'd still need a different abstraction that guarantees that you can kill threads in a reasonable amount of time.

There are languages with user-level threads (which are perfect for most game logic kind of programming) like Erlang/PLT-Scheme AFAIK.
Still, could you please elaborate on the problems with killing pthreads (let's forget about garbage collection and such)? Do you mean problems with interrupting system calls?

You may want to take a look at embedding SpiderMonkey. It's designed
to meet all of the given constraints (for the browser environment),
and it's a language that's well known and easily learned (JavaScript).

That's probably a good idea however looking on Mozilla I'm unsure whether it's protection from endless loops is flexible enough. (on the other side it appeared only recently in the UI so maybe it's better underneath) ;-)

--
regards,
Jakub Piotr CÅapa