Re: [pygame] Pygame 1.8 - PNG is an unsupported image format

René Dudfield wrote:
Hello again,

I double checked, and png is compiled in statically and works ok.
I've asked some other people to try it out on their systems, and it
works ok for them too.

Could you please try removing pygame from the site-packages directory,
and installing it again?  Sounds like something fishy is happening.

Make sure you don't have anything python/pygame thing open when you install.

I'm running on a Windows 2000 system with 1 gig memory. I have python 2.4 and Pygame 1.7 installed.

Per your instructions, I ensured no python app was running. I removed pygame from c:\python24\lib\site-packages. I installed pygame 1.8 RC2, ran my test, got the same error. So I removed the folder again, and installed RC1 (which was 800K larger!) and ran the tests again. They still didn't work.

I tried the same technique using RC1 only, on a Windows XP machine, with the same results. Then I restarted the XP machine, had the same results.

I saw Lenard Lindstrom had the same problem. What sort of machine are you running on, Lenard?

Maybe it's a problem in the Python 2.4 version only. Did the people that ran it successfully, have python 2.4, or python 2.5?

--Kamilche