Re: [pygame] Help configuring Pygame on OS X Leopard

On Dec 2, 2007, at 12:23 PM, Richard Jones wrote:

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007, Casey Duncan wrote:
You can use fink (http://finkproject.org/) to install pygame with
python 2.5. It's also handy for installing other libraries you might
want (PIL, pyrex, ode, py2app, etc.).

I would be wary of installing one of those parallel packaging systems. I did so a number of years ago and ended up with a quite confused system. I ended
up reinstalling OS X to clear it up.

I'm not sure how it would hurt your system, it installs everything into it's own directory structure (under /sw by default). If you remove that directory, you remove all trace of it. Fink is very widely used and is a very convenient way to install OSS on OSX. It's never caused me any problems and I know several others who have used it without incident.

You can however, screw up your system by modifying the system python, which OSX uses in various places. So at the very least, you'll want to install your own python somewhere before setting up pygame.

-Casey