Re: [pygame] Do we still need Python 2.3 support from Pygame?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Strout" <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Dec 10, 2008, at 1:52 PM, Lenard Lindstrom wrote:
Do we still need to keep Pygame Python 2.3 compatible. I believe
Python 2.3 shipped with Mac OS X Tiger. Is it still the OS X
default?

No, OS X (10.5) comes with 2.5.1.

On Dec 10, 2008, at 2:24 PM, yanom @linuxmail.org wrote:
in that case, people with 2.3 need to upgrade their python. I'm pretty sure almost all Linux distros come with at least 2.4, and it's easy to upgrade on windows/Mac

The pygame website EXPLICITLY does not support Mac OS's "built in" python, and insists you download python 2.4 or 2.5 (and not 2.6!) from python.org. Luckily, once you figure this out, installation is pretty straightforward (meaning, I asked someone on the list, they told me some trick, and I've forgotten it).

Or you can use MacPorts, if you are smart enough to figure that out. I wasn't.

In any case, the downloads total under 100 MB, so it's not back- breaking. And you can use 10.3.9 or later, it says. That's farther back than Apple supports for almost all software, so that's plenty good enough.

So Mac users do not need python 2.3 support. I'm more interested in 2.6 or 3.0 support, in an idle, "Someday, the future will bring us flying cars" kind of way.