Re: [pygame] which python and pygame versions?

On Dec 14, 2009, at 1:10 PM, Alex Nordlund wrote:
Why do you prefer 2.6 and why do you prefer 2.5.4?
Your comments will be quite useless now if you can't support the statement :-)

I am running with Mac OS X 10.6.2. It comes with Python 2.5.something built in, but the suggestion is to download a fresh Python so that any hacking one does does not screw up the System's python.

I decided a while back to use Python 2.6.2 and Pygame 1.9.1. These were the latest versions that were not "beta" or "experimental." I have tried using "experimental" releases before, and, well, I don't have the time to cope with them. When I eventually get some substantial code together, I will figure out how to download the forthcoming versions and see what happens, and file whatever bugs seem to help advance The Greater Good.

There didn't seem to be a lot of difference between Python 2.5 and 2.6 except for bug fixes, and more or less the same story for Pygame. I suggest reading the release notes at pygame.org and python.org to come to your own conclusions.

Python 3 and its ensuing Pygame release will probably mean big changes, but the releases are unlikely to hit for a while, and I assume that code I've written against the current system will either continue to work unchanged, or there will be some kind of helpful hints at cross-compatibility. Maybe I can help write those hints.

In the mean time, my big goal at this point is finding time to code, and then writing code that is useful and meaningful to my personal goals, not helping debug Python 3.0, which I think is better left to the people that already know Python well.

My one piece of advice for Mac users -- make sure you've installed X windows. It's an optional install, but if you don't have it, there are some mysterious bugs with pygame. I told the list about one of them already. (How to test: In Terminal, run the command xfontsel . If you have X11 installed, it will launch a font picker program. If you don't have it installed, find your Snow Leopard disk, and find the "Optional Installs" folder, and install X11.)