Re: [pygame] Trolls Outta Luckland - new release

> I don't think it would be possible to tune the game to swing both
> ways.

I will concede that point. Also, I was playing on a laptop, using a
trackpoint pointing device, so that could have skewed my perception.
(Although I still think keyboard+mouse would be better, you're right
that it would be too hard to balance versus mouse-only or
keyboard-only, difficulty-wise; all pointing devices are not created
equally.)

> What size is your display? And is your eyesight good or poor? No
> insult meant by those questions. They are factors I would want to
> consider when interpreting your comment. And puzzling out how big is
> too big, how small is too small.

I played it on a 90dpi LCD monitor. My eyesight is not exceptional either way.

> Also, a large window and graphics means jumping sprites more pixels
> per frame and the motion appears jerky or blurred to me, depending on
> your frame and refresh rate.

Unless the user has a very old computer, I don't know why this would
be the case...
It certainly seemed perfectly smooth to me, a 2x increase in graphic
size (4x increase in number of pixels) should not drop the frame rate
unacceptably low. You might want to look into how you are updating the
window (flip or whatever) and see if you are doing it redundantly or
something.

> I guess I could consider knuckling down
> and do scaling based on user-selected screen resolution. Not sure how
> easy that would be... but I think not very.

Probably not the way to go. Would look ugly, too, as you observe. I
think you should just make bigger resolution graphics, about twice the
size of your current ones would be fine in my opinion.

> I was hoping someone wouldn't disparage an alpha
> version of Trolls Outta Luckland for being akin to refried beans. But
> I guess it had to happen. :)

I didn't catch that it was an alpha, sorry. I forgot that people post
alpha versions of things on the pygame website.
Doesn't change my comments, though; it just means that it defiantly
isn't too late to improve substantially. :)

I guess people have different motivations for writing games; mine is
either "There should be a version of X for linux!" (which tends to not
last very long), or "Hey, wouldn't Y be neat in a game, why aren't
there any games with Y?" "Z is fun, let's make another fun game like
Z" doesn't really do it for me but if it results in a fun game, I
suppose it's legitimate (just not very critically interesting even if
well done.)