[pygame] "Text has zero width" Exception in font_render

I'm running pygame in a thread, killing the thread and reloading it.
Second time in we throw an exception with font.render. I have no
experience with C, but I would like to debug the problem which appears
to be in font_render since both times the python pygame.font.render
arguments are the same.  I'm also now using the 1.9.1 win release, 1.8
had the same exact behavior.

If I compile the pygame source on windows using the cygwin environment
I should be able to debug it and step through the font_render C code
right? Or at least put printfs inside the font.c code?

If I use different pygame code that uses font.render in the thread I
don't see this problem. Is it possible bad python code could be
corrupting pointers in the pygame C code?

Should I not be running pygame in a thread then killing it and
restarting it multiple times in the same process? I assume if this was
bad I'd see more random problems than this.

Mark