Re: [pygame] Trolls Outta Luckland - new release

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 6:14 AM, Michael George <mdgeorge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> B W wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 9:33 AM, Michael George <mdgeorge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Nevertheless, because there's a lot of hand-eye involved in wielding
>> an invisible mouse there probably needs to be a visual cue. But I
>> think I get what you're saying. Correct me if I'm wrong. Picturing it
>> this way... I nudge the mouse left, thrusters on the opposite side
>> fire to move the ship in the direction of mouse motion. The farther I
>> drag the mouse to the left, the brighter the thrusters burn. They die
>> down over time, unless I give them another nudge with the mouse. Oh
>> no, I flunked fizzix. :)
>>
>> That would definitely require more thought to control. I'd have to
>> nerf the baddies quite a bit. But hey, if it gets the adrenaline
>> pumping--yeah, baby.
>>

> What about warping the pointer back to the center if the direction changes
> (or changes significantly)?

I'm not sure what you mean.

I was thinking like a rubber band, which is pretty much what it's
doing now, where the visual cue is a crosshair hanging in space:
stretch the band in a direction, follow until the tension reaches
zero. The difference I suggested would be no visible crosshair, rather
a thruster that glows and dims depending on the proximity to the x,y
destination (the invisible mouse cursor). The direction in which you
are moving is indicated by the opposite side that's lit up. The
remaining distance to cross until the ship rests motionless is
indicated by the brightness of the burn. Honestly, it's just a cheap
smoke-n-mirrors so you don't have to see the crosshair. :)

Gumm