Re: [pygame] PyGame website

On 27 December 2012 17:36, Peter Shinners <pete@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The web server and hosting has been managed by seul.org, which was an lucky and amazing choice for the project back in early 2003. Seul has been awesome, but the downside is that everything is "custom". The admins have been amazing at adding extra ssh accounts for us, but that still feel like it may not scale or be as flexible as other hosting options these days?

After I stopped managing the website, Phil Hassey and Rene Dudfield took over. If a new website is getting put together, it feels like a good time to point the domain to that.

A couple of people have had a go at putting together a new site, but there was some concern about how easily all of the existing content could be transferred to a new site. That led me to suggest incrementally upgrading the existing site, but none of the current admins have offered any opinion on that. Either way, we're not helped by 'Site Swing', a seemingly unmaintained PHP CMS that I think pygame.org might be the only site still using.

Perhaps a new site is the way to go. Let's try to think of some requirements:

- It should support both posts linked to a specific time (like a blog), and static pages (About, etc.)
- We shouldn't break (most) existing links that people are using - so we probably need to make redirects.
- We want to keep the colourful, lighthearted style of the current pygame.org (at least, I think so), but make various improvements to the aesthetics.
- Several people should be able to update it easily

Desirable:
- Use something mainstream, so that there's lots of support out there.
- Website logic in Python, so that the Python coders who're interested can easily improve it.

I know at least one of the previous attempts at a new site used Wordpress, which seems like a good bet for many of these things (it's not Python, but it is very mainstream). Would seul.org be happy to host a wordpress site? Or is someone else prepared to host it?

Best wishes,
Thomas