Re: [pygame] Getting Pygame to "listen"....

Frank Peavy wrote:
> I noticed that Pygame has a number of modules to play sound, but I have
> been unable to find one that allows Pygame to hear sounds coming in from
> a microphone. Basically, I am looking to record some sounds through the
> mic and than analyze the resulting file.

didn't miss it. there's no support for this. one day SDL may support
audio input, but for now it doesn't. you may be able to do something
sort of non-crossplatformy by looking into /dev or some calls to the
win32api. i really wouldn't know where to start there.

if the microphone is a requirement. i believe the snack library has the
ability to use the microphone. unfortunately it's a rather clumsy api
wrapped on top of tcl (like tkinter). still, if it gets that job done,
that's not so bad. http://www.speech.kth.se/snack/

you might be able to find something at the vaults?
http://www.vex.net/parnassus/apyllo.py/63131194

for example, the OSS python module claims to record sound under linux
oss drivers.