Re: [pygame] Re: [pygmy] Mac Observations

On Feb 1, 2006, at 11:13 AM, Kevin J. MacKenzie wrote:

On 2/1/06 1:53 PM, "Kamilche" <klachemin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Does anyone have experience with cross platform games in Pygame? How much of a problem have you had with it?

The funny thing (to me anyways) is that my code will work Mac- Windows-Linux.
I had the hardest time getting things to go from 10.3 - 10.4 for the mac.
Just make sure you stick with python specific libraries, and not OS specific
libraries (i.e. Using pygame, pyopengl etc. and avoiding direct X stuff or
windows weirdness).

The whole issue with Macs is that apple altered the location of the python
site-packages directory - for no apparently logical reason. There is a
"hack fix" workaround which basically adds a simlink into your site- packages
directory to be consistent with 10.3 things. But, this is far from ideal or
fully functional. The package managers don't always work 100 %, so some
things are a pain.

You don't want to use the system installation of Python for distributing applications anyway.

What happens when they upgrade to the next minor version of Python in the next OS release 2.4 (or 2.5)? Your applications will break. If you use a third party Python build to create a truly standalone application with py2app, it will work just fine.

-bob