Re: [pygame] Re: [pygmy] Mac Observations

On Feb 1, 2006, at 11:52 AM, Bob the Hamster wrote:

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 11:32:09AM -0800, Kamilche wrote:

Using py2app should though allow you to distribute to Mac users and will be
fairly OS version agnostic - once you get your code working.

Have you used it before? Does it work as advertised? I know py2exe on the Windows platform is useful, but has some issues.

Thanks for the response!

I have used py2app. It has worked just fine for me. It is similar to py2exe, but in my experience a little bit easier.

The only frustrating thing is the inability to set an icon for the
generated app. Mac Icons in general bother me. There is a serious
shortage of good documentation on how they actually work. So far I have
not been able to find any clean way of doing it without using
proprietary third-party tools (unless you don't mind an ugly icon with
no transparency, which is as easy as copying-and-pasting into the "Get
Info" window)

"the inability to set an icon" ??? py2app has *always* had an option to set the icon.

There is an IcnsImagePlugin PIL plugin (which I wrote) for reading the Mac OS X icns format. It's been in the past few releases of PIL. It does not write the icns format, but you could figure it out by reading the source if you really wanted to.

However, you really shouldn't bother with all that. The free (as in beer, anyway) Mac OS X developer tools have always came with a tool for creating icons.
/Developer/Applications/Utilities/Icon Composer.app

I've also had luck going between Mac OS X and Windows icon formats with a commercial Windows app: Axialis IconWorkshop.

-bob