Re: [pygame] Which resolutions should a game support?

David Mikesell wrote:
My recent problem with a user using a monitor/card that doesn't support
800x600x85 has me wondering which resolution(s) my game should support. All of my graphics are pre-rendered so I can't support any arbitrary
resolution. What is a good target resolution for a fullscreen game?

I use something like the following, and it works OK on both Macs and Windows. Note that there is no way to specify the mHz. Perhaps dropping down to 16 bit color when necessary would help. That's what I do.

SCREENSIZE = (800, 600)
bitdepth = pygame.display.mode_ok(SCREENSIZE, 0, 24)
if bitdepth < 16:
    raise Exception("Your system is unable to display 16 bit color!")
bgbuffer = pygame.display.set_mode(SCREENSIZE, 0, bitdepth)