Re: [pygame] Which resolutions should a game support?

Sami Hangaslammi wrote:
On 2/3/06, David Mikesell <dave_mikesell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My recent problem with a user using a monitor/card that doesn't support
800x600x85 has me wondering which resolution(s) my game should support.
All of my graphics are pre-rendered so I can't support any arbitrary
resolution.   What is a good target resolution for a fullscreen game?

800x600 is very common, so I wonder what kind of setup your user has.
The only resolution even more widely supported is 640x480. Of course
for modern boxes, supporting 1280x1024 is good, because I believe
that's the most common native resolution in today's TFTs.

Come to think of it, my preferred monitor size is nowhere near 800x600. I run in 800x600 only when working on my game. I have a pivot monitor that I run at 768x1024 a lot.

Have you considered making it a windowed app, with an option to go fullscreen if requested? That way those who can't quite get to the right resolution can still run, albeit not in fullscreen. The fullscreen option would still be there for those whose monitors can handle it.