Re: [pygame] Which resolutions should a game support?

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 09:22:13 -0800, "Peter Shinners" <pete@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
said:
> On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 10:29 -0500, David Mikesell wrote:
> > My recent problem with a user using a monitor/card that doesn't support
> > 800x600x85 has me wondering which resolution(s) my game should support.
> > All of my graphics are pre-rendered so I can't support any arbitrary
> > resolution.   What is a good target resolution for a fullscreen game?
>
> SDL and Pygame have no way of specifying the refresh rate. When you ask
> for a 800x600 resolution display, you are also asking the system to just
> choose whatever refresh it wants. If the system is then trying to get
> something the monitor doesn't support, it should be fixable by
> configuring the system. It sounds more like a misconfigured system
> problem, but there may not be an easy solution on either end.
>
> Under windows you can limit the maximum refresh rate to use. Just
> setting this down to 75 or 60 should be all it takes to get the program
> working.

And back and forth we go.  I forwarded your reply to this user, who
replied with this:

"That person must be wrong, because my system would choose a working
refresh rate
as it does in all other games.  In even my current game, I have it go
800x600
and I do not declare any refresh rate, so it uses my default system
config
which is set at 60hz. I've only experienced this problem if the
developer
forces the refresh rate for me."