Re: [pygame] Which resolutions should a game support?

Could you try the 1.7.1release version?  That one uses a different
version of SDL.

I think it is a bug with his setup, but it would be still good if
there was a work around.

One possible work around is to not use directx.
You could put:

os.environ["SDL_VIDEODRIVER"] = "winddb"
# before pygame.init()
pygame.init()

You could put that in a config file, or pop up a message dialog box to
ask the user.  Or you could create a "Your Game - safe mode" start
menu item which uses that environment variable.

Cheers.