Re: [pygame] Fwd: install problem

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 07:28:24AM -0800, Peter Shinners wrote:
> Forwarded message from unsubscribed user
> Elliot Temple <curi@xxxxxxx>
>
> Hi,

Hi, Elliot! Read on for information about how I got python+pyame working
on my Macs.

> I have OS X 10.4.5
>
> I have tried and failed to get pygame working. I've tried running the
> installers but nothing noticeable changes. I found pygame in the
> include folder in python somewhere but when i try to import it, it
> isn't there. There may be multiple versions of python on my system,
> and if so I don't know where they are. I just type "python" in my
> terminal (or pythonw IIRC). this is a mac; there shouldn't be
> installers at all, just disk images with icons to drag to my
> harddrive :-)

I have had all the best luck using Bob Ipolito's "Framework" build of
python 2.4.1 which you can get from here:

http://undefined.org/python/

In particular, you want both  of the following:
http://undefined.org/python/MacPython-OSX-2.4.1-1.dmg
http://pythonmac.org/packages/TigerPython24Fix-r2.zip

Install them, and then to verify that it worked, go to the console and
run python. You should see the python version number, something like
this:

darkside:~ james$ python
Python 2.4.1 (#2, Mar 31 2005, 00:05:10)
[GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)] on darwin

If that is NOT what you see, contact me (or this list) again, and I (or
someone) will help you find out why the wrong version of python is being
run. The fact that you have apparently already attempted installing a
couple different versions of python may confuse this step a bit.

After you have verified that you are running python 2.4.1 then you can
install extensions from http://pythonmac.org/packages/ Both the Mac OS X
10.4 and the Mac OS X 10.3+ packages can be expected to work for you. I
reccomend a minimum of:

http://pythonmac.org/packages/pyobjc-1.3.6-py2.4-macosx10.4.zip
http://pythonmac.org/packages/Numeric-23.7-py2.4-macosx10.3.zip
http://pythonmac.org/packages/py2app-0.2-py2.4-macosx10.3.zip
http://pythonmac.org/packages/pygame-1.7.0-py2.4-macosx10.3.zip
http://pythonmac.org/packages/PyOpenGL-2.0.2.01-py2.4-macosx10.3.zip

> on a previous version of OS X (probably 10.2 but maybe 10.3), i
> installed pygame, and it was quite easy. i then wrote a tetris clone
> using it. if it's too hard to install for a programmer (who isn't a
> unix wizard), that's a serious problem.  My parents wanted to play my
> game, but they have a mac, so I told them not to bother.

Here is where py2app comes in. You can use it to package your game as a
real standalone Mac application with no dependencies. You can just
package it in a dmg file and send it to your parents, and they will be
able to install it by dragging it to their hard drive like a proper Mac
app should behave. No installers, no voodoo, no need for a particular
version of python on their system.

If you have any problems, let me know. I am going to put this same info
on the pygame wiki so that it will be more accessable to other Mac
users.

---
James Paige