[pygame] problem with load_extended

Greetings, I'm fairly new to both Python and PyGame.  I'm running under OS X 10.4.5, python 2.4.1.  I've tried the pre-packaged PyGame 1.7.0, and I've built pygame 1.71 along with the latest SDL and SDL_image libraries from source.  In all cases I see this behavior:

pygame.image.load() won't load a TGA file (or a GIF, etc); it complains that it isn't a Windows BMP file.  I've read that this is because PyGame wasn't compiled with SDL_image support.  I'm certain it is, however.  Things get strange - when I attempt to load a TGA as root, it works, but as a basic user, it doesn't.  In fact, pygame.image.get_extended() returns 1 as root, and 0 as a normal user.  I've checked things like pygame.ver, and pygame.__file__ and both users are running the same code, as far as I can tell.  I've checked permissions on /usr/local/lib, and under /Library/Frameworks and they look like everything is at least world readable, and world executable.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Larry