Re: [pygame] Newbie needs help, what's the most efficient (or easiest) way to do this?

>Wii will rock you

I lol'd.

Anyway, Let's see. The tools I need:

a clock. I suppose pygame.time.set_timer(pygame.USEREVENT + 1, 1000) would be correct.

That would set a timer that, every 1000 miliseconds (that's one second, right?), would call pygame.USEREVENT + 1 which would decrease the number in a variable I call "timeleft."

So then I could make pygame.USEREVENT + 1 = timeleft - 1 or something like that? (I'm pretty sure the syntax for that is wrong)

Then, every 1000 miliseconds it would decrease timeleft by one, right?

Then I could have something that causes a "game over" event that would wipe everything off of the screen and print "game over" and print your scores, right? and I could even have a sort of "max combo" counter thing, because that wouldn't be too hard to program either.

On 2/6/07, Luke Paireepinart <rabidpoobear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Charles Christie wrote:
> hmm. So to make a timer, I'd make an event that would, every second,
> subtract one from a number that I could call "timer?" I never thought
> of it that way. Actually, that's given me a new idea that would
> greatly simplify making a scoring system and a different way to
> control difficulty as well...
>
> Instead of 3 timers, I'd only need one. It would start at a number
> that would vary between levels, and every second the timer's value is
> decreased by one. Typing a letter correctly would add to the timer,
> and that could also vary from level to level. Not only that, but it
> would save me the time of making 3 diffrent timers. Thanks for the hint!

Sure!
I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, but I made a parallax side-scrolling game
where the scrolling was all controlled by different events... even the
player!
Well, what can I say... It was a game-programming competiton (72hrGDC),
so I guess that means that anything 'working' is good.
And we got it done on time.  :)
Anyway... Glad I sparked some innovation in you.
Are you considering competing in Pyweek in April?  It might be a good
break!  If you consider a week of late nights and rapid hacky coding to
be relaxing :P
Nevertheless, lots of fun.  Would be cool to see you there.
Let me know if you have any trouble getting the events to add themselves
to the queue.
http://72hourgdc.com/board/downloads.php
Our entry is called Wii Will Rock You if you want to check it out.
The music is good, at least. :)