[pygame] Decrease in Performance

I'm reposting this - my first attempt appeared to get lost. Being a newbie I can not rule out incompetence!

What might the reason be for a significant drop in performance for blitting objects to the screen using pygame versions 1.6 and 1.7, both with Python 2.4.4. We blit two surfaces, each approximately 900 x 900 pixels in size, consecutively to the screen. Using pygame 1.6 this took about 0.016 seconds but in pygame 1.7 it took about 0.024 seconds. Can anyone help? I had thought that new versions improved performance not degraded it. The code is identical in both cases.

Thanks in anticipation.

Bruce Coram