[pygame] Re: pygame is low level

Dave LeCompte (really) wrote:
While saying that PyGame is low-level in places, I find it frustratingly
high-level in other places. Here are a few platform-specific things I'd
like to be able to do easily from a PyGame app:
- open a window fullscreen on a second monitor on Windows
- open a window as a child of a Windows window referred by HWND
- retrieve the Windows HWND for my display window
- add menu items to the Macintosh menu and react to them

There is support for getting the HWND of the pygame display. You can also tell pygame to embed into an existing HWND.

The other features you want would be cool, but there is nothing to support them in the SDL library. That it is the place for features like this, not so much Pygame.

pygame.display.get_wm_info http://www.pygame.org/docs/ref/display.html#pygame.display.get_wm_info

As for the embedding. You must have the environment variable SDL_WINDOWID set before calling pygame.init(). People have had mixed success with this. But it can work.