[pygame] High-quality 2D rendering in Pygame

Hello. I created a Scorched Earth type game with a couple of friends using Pygame (http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mandelin/TotalFrag/) and I think it's pretty cool, but there's a couple of improvements I'd like to make that I'm not sure how to do.

The biggest thing is that I would like high-quality (antialiased) 2D rendering a la GDI+/Cairo/whatever. AFAICT, Pygame 1.7 can render high-quality width-1 lines, but that's it. So:

- If these features are already available for Pygame, can you give me a pointer on how to use them?

- If not, I'd consider coding them up, and I'd like to know what strategy I should use so that it will "fit" with the Pygame design and maybe get in the standard Pygame someday.

Thanks!