Re: [pygame] pgreloaded documentation brushed up and VC++ build instructions added

Hi Marcus,

Marcus von Appen wrote:
On, Fri Feb 06, 2009, Lenard Lindstrom wrote:

[...]
Ah yes, now it works. I like the format, nice and clean. So how hard would it be to add images? They will be needed if the tutorials are added.

From the docs:

.. image:: gnu.png
That's it :-).

Yeah, that's easy. I guess the real question is, should the tutorials and other non-reference parts of the documentation be translated to rst (or XML?). Right now they are strictly HTML.

Should this be backported to Pygame? I do have some concerns, the sphinx dependency for one. It was painless to install, but uses setuptools, which is controversial. And I suppose sphinx could be called from setup.py. Using "make" in pgreloaded was a personal preference. For building Pygame on Window Msys should not be a requirement. Finally, some sort of .doc to reStructuredText translation program will be required, unless someone volunteers to do the tedious work by hand, freezing document updates for the duration of the translation.

If you take a closer look through the pgreloaded build system, you'll
notice, that sphinx is only needed for and by SVN users and the
packagers. Once you make a distribution (e.g. tarball), sphinx will be
invoked, creates the matching HTML and the end user does not need to
explicitly install it in order to read the docs.

The .doc to RST transfornmation for a backport can be a bit harder,
though with some minor adjustments a .doc might work nearly out of the
box with sphinx (but it won't look good at all). As pgreloaded uses XML
for the api reference, the RST generator from it won't be applicaable in
any case.

This is looking better and better. And automated .doc to XML translation should be practical. I was already exploring how to modify makeref.py to generate XHTML, but put the project on hold when you announced you had taken a different approach with pgreloaded. I'm glad I did. Anyway, Python's minidom appears to be up to the task.

Thanks Marcus.

Lenard

--
Lenard Lindstrom