Re: [pygame] Very beginner level question

I found the Chimp example to be incredibly helpful. It showed off rendering text, how to create and blit surfaces, how to create sprites, load images, load and play sounds, deal with rects and collisions, handle input events, move and rotate images... All in an incredibly compact, well-explained package. The only minor issue with it is that the way it creates and extends classes with no explanation might confuse beginners without a working knowledge of object-oriented programming. I don't think that can be helped.

I jumped head-first into Pygame on January 18th 2009, knowing nothing of the library and having never coded a line of python in my life. Other than the Chimp tutorial, the Pygame documentation, and Python documentation, I've built up a pretty good working knowledge of how Pygame operates. Now look at my project:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypS1AG_Tbx0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjjFOItdHeI

The only time I've ever been frustrated was running up against bugs in Pygame and a few other packages. I'd say the tutorials and documentation are pretty damn good. Better is always better, but I don't think the efforts of those contributing to the library should focus too much there.

-Zack