Re: [pygame] Pure SDL C library branching

Marcus von Appen wrote:
Hi,

Rene and I had a talk about a pure SDL-based C library based on certain
components of pygame the last year or so. The idea behind it was to
isolate certain components well enough to release them as seperate C
library code that does not pull in any Python dependency.

We never got that far with it as we did not find the time to clearly
isolate those components. When I initially created pgreloaded, I was
able to remember that we talked about that, so that certain core parts
of pgreloaded are completely Python-free. This allows us now to create a
pure C library that will bring some unique features to the broader SDL
developer base without much work (just some plain copying of code files,
creating a Makefile and solution/nmake file).

The components isolated are:

transform routines        (similar to pygame's transform module)
scrap clipboard routines  (similar to pygame's scrap module)
MMX pixel buffer filters  (as used by pygame's transform module)
2D drawing routines       (similar to pygame's draw module)
JPEG, PNG, TGA saving     (similar to pygame's image.save method)
SDL_Surface fill routines (similar to pygame's Surface.fill method)
SDL_Surface blit routines (similar to pygame's Surface.fill method)

In contrast to pgreloaded, which will still require some more work,
those components could be branched and released as standalone library
quite fast. The only question would be: what name should it have?

Lame duck names might be CyGame, CeGame, PyCGame, PySeeGame, CPyGame, ...
As you see, naming recommendations for that branch are welcome :-).
Sounds like a nice idea. I would follow the "SDL" addon naming of "SDL_something". I would go with something like SDL_pgame (?) and follow the api naming conventions of the SDL addons as well.