[pygame] pygame sdl_image png/jpeg support

Hello,
I wonder if anyone can make any suggestions to help with this issue. I
have searched extensively for a solution with no luck so far.
I am trying to build pygame and during the dependency check it is only
missing PNG and JPEG support which I do wish to use in my programs.
SDL_image is installed with both png and jpg support libpng and libjpg
and respective -dev libraries are also installed. There doesn't seem
to be anything missing. I am running this on ubuntu 11.04 and there
are 3 versions of Python currently on the system, 2.5 2.7 and 3.
Pygame is trying to build to the 2.7 version which is what I want, I
think.
Any suggestions?
Ant