Re: [pygame] Pygame, pyglet, 2d, 3d, and performance (reflexions/discussion)

On Sun, 2012-02-12 at 23:25 +0100, Santiago Romero wrote:
> ...but that implies using OpenGL and abandoning the classic-oldstyle
> libraries like pygame :-(.

[Sent from wrong address, so re-posting]

My first game, I wanted to make in 3D, so I've been using OpenGL with
Pygame almost since I first started using Pygame. Obviously, the UI etc.
needs to be 2D, so it's perfectly equipped for 2D games development. To
create the 2D UI, I've been creating my own toolkit from scratch.
	I also wanted to make sure the toolkit worked on both traditional
Pygame and OpenGL, so to achieve this, I wrote some OpenGL classes that
emulate the Pygame surfaces.
	This means you can draw in much the same way, with functions like
surface.fill(*args) and draw.circle(surface, *args). I basically needed
to create an identical interface, so I only need to change the class
each surface is initialised from when running in OpenGL, and the rest of
the code remains the same.

I'm hoping to have another beta release in a week or two, along with
documentation (for the first time), so if you want to check it out, I'll
be announcing the release on this mailing list.

--
Sam Bull <sambull.org>
PGP: 9626CE2B