Re: [pygame] taming the circus of modules

Vince Platt wrote:

> So, consider this a pat on the back!  It takes some real foresight to
> develop an API that will stand the test of time, and it's pure genius
> (or maybe just luck?  :+) to do it for a version 0.2.

heh, back in those days, there were several breakages between pygame
releases. I think if you had started with pygame-0.5 things might have
still run for your old program, no changes. :]

there's a couple things i can attribute to the good backwards
compatability. the main one is SDL. SDL is very well done, so by not
straying too far from that design, i had a great head start. the rest is
a mixture of luck and experience. that's not to say it was all easy.
there were some sticky design choices i've had to make now and then, in
fact i went back and forth a couple times on the names for the functions
to create objects.. (new_surface or Surface, heh). i've also been sort
of valiant against making breaking changes. if you look over the
changelog, you can see a lot of [BREAK] changes where change was needed
for the common good :]

> only other thing I would like to see bundled with pygame is the smpeg
> and python numeric libraries, but that's just my preference.

the pygame binaries _do_ come with smpeg. :]
as for numeric, it would be tempting to include something, but i don't
think i will. fortunately, these days there are binary installers for
Numeric, which has made things a little easier.