Re: [pygame] OS X distro...

On Thursday, January 17, 2002, at 02:32 PM, TheG wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Been playing around with the OS X distro. Excellent work Bob...
>
> I've had a few probs tho, which are most likely purely down to me, but
> I thought I'd ask and get some clarification on these and other
> questions:
>
> Era of Mages seems to *only* run if started from the terminal
> (/usr/local/bin/python as prescribed) -- attempts from the launcher
> just fail silently. Not sure why this is. Civil also seems to run
> happily, but again, the server will only run from the terminal ('cos
> it's a straight python app?). Do I take it that echoing err messages
> from the launcher is a "long way off"?

There's a great little utility called Console.app in
/Applications/Utilities/ ..  stdout for any application started from the
finder is redirected to /private/var/tmp/console.log, Console.app is
just a fancy shmancy tail -f

> In addition, I note from your docs that you can't have two application
> windows running simultaneously. Is there any likely hood this will
> change in the future? I'm used to running two Civil clients
> simultaneously (for fun and profit!), and the quick attempts to do so
> this evening have failed as expected. It's not a problem as such, I
> have enough machines and we have an AI client, but it would be "very
> nice" for people like me... ;-)

As far as I know, that's just how MacOS works.  I've never seen two of
the same application started up.  One thing that could be done is that
Python.app (the stub that hosts the python interpreter) could be
multi-threaded or multiforked or something of the sort to accept
"document open" events after the initial startup.  It's possible,
eventually, but for now it's beyond the time I have to spare.  One thing
you could do, it's a nasty hack.. buuut.  If you duplicate
/Application/Python.app as say, /Applications/PythonSecond.app, and you
cd /Applications/PythonSecond.app/Resources and sudo vi Info.plist and
change the CFBundleName from PythonInterpreter to say
PythonSecondInterpreter .. if you drag a python file onto PythonSecond,
it should launch separately from one started from Python.app.  It's
retarded, but that's the only solution I can offer you right now.

> Other than those two apps, pretty much everything else I've tried over
> the last couple of days has been fine, so I'm one happy,  grateful
> user! In fact, I can see this being excellent for the end user of
> Pygame apps, however, I have some small reservations about developing
> under it:
>
> How  dangerous is it to run things from the terminal (as stated in the
> warning message echoed)? If it is dangerous, how else can I write code
> and get my error messages back? Is the window manager problem
> "intermittent" enough to require a warning to be on the safe side,
> without really causing that many problems?

As long as you start it as /usr/local/bin/python file.py you should be
okay, I've had plenty of luck with it myself. But, you don't get the
menus that you get with running it otherwise and it's not something I
can support because I had so many problems with it myself.

> Oh, and in case you're wondering, I'm running a G3 iMac, 10.1.2,
> Developer tools etc installed and yes, I'm a Mac newbie! ;-P

Poor G3 user.. I've fallen in love with the altivec unit of the G4.  The
next pygame binary set I release will have SDL optimizations especially
for G4 users.  Maybe it's time to look at the new iMacs?  ;)

> I notice that the SDL crowd have added your patches to the latest
> release (congrats). Here's hoping for more great things from Pygame and
> PygameOSX...
>
> Thanks for all the hard work...

-bob