Re: [pygame] OS X distro...

> There's a great little utility called Console.app in
> /Applications/Utilities/ ..  stdout for any application started from
> the finder is redirected to /private/var/tmp/console.log, Console.app
> is just a fancy shmancy tail -f

Thanks, I found this just after posting. RTFM manual time for me it
seems...! :-)

> As far as I know, that's just how MacOS works.  I've never seen two of
> the same application started up.  One thing that could be done is that
> Python.app (the stub that hosts the python interpreter) could be
> multi-threaded or multiforked or something of the sort to accept
> "document open" events after the initial startup.  It's possible,
> eventually, but for now it's beyond the time I have to spare.  One
> thing you could do, it's a nasty hack.. buuut.  If you duplicate
> /Application/Python.app as say, /Applications/PythonSecond.app, and you
> cd /Applications/PythonSecond.app/Resources and sudo vi Info.plist and
> change the CFBundleName from PythonInterpreter to say
> PythonSecondInterpreter .. if you drag a python file onto PythonSecond,
> it should launch separately from one started from Python.app.  It's
> retarded, but that's the only solution I can offer you right now.

I've never seen two of the same app launched either; 'good point. Bit of
an arse that and like the application-owner meta-data, a portion of
Apple's views that I *don't* agree with...

Anyway, the solution above will have to do, as I can think of numerous
occasions where I'll want that purely from a work perspective. I'll try
it that over the weekend and report back -- thanks for the tip.

> As long as you start it as /usr/local/bin/python file.py you should be
> okay, I've had plenty of luck with it myself. But, you don't get the
> menus that you get with running it otherwise and it's not something I
> can support because I had so many problems with it myself.

That's fine, so long as I know. I'm not in need of menus in Python, I'm
quite nippy in Bash... ;-)

I have noticed that mouse focus doesn't move from the terminal to the
application window -- seems like the terminal losing focus forces a
defocus on the sub-processes, and there's a few other funnies, but it's
slightly more immediate out of emacs so I'll probably be working around
this for a while.

> Poor G3 user.. I've fallen in love with the altivec unit of the G4.
> The next pygame binary set I release will have SDL optimizations
> especially for G4 users.  Maybe it's time to look at the new iMacs?  ;)

Well, I bought the G3 to check out if OS X was worth it. Consequently
I've decided to move over from Linux & NT4 to OS X fulltime. The dual G4
is spec'ed and ready for my credit card, the iLamp is no good -- I do a
lot of GFX and I need a display with a broader gamut than the TFT will
provide...

Saying that tho, an iLamp will probably get added as a "lounge
terminal", they're pretty cheap for the spec (well, compared to other
Apple hardware anyway! ;-), although I'm gonna wait to see it in the
flesh first. Something for the summer I think...

Anyway; G4 optimise away good sir...! I look forward to the results...

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids,
we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and
listening to repetitive electronic music."
     -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc., 1989