From: owner-pygame-users@seul.org [mailto:owner-pygame-users@seul.org]On
Behalf Of Chris McCormick
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 8:39 AM
To: pygame-users@seul.org
Subject: [pygame] ** Newbie ** Questions re: text windows and input
fields

Hello all,
	I am a pyGame newbie (using it about a week), writing a simple map editor
for an RPG-style game.  I have found pyGame incredibly easy to use; it's
really
jumpstarted my coding.  But there is one area where I
need some direction.  While running my program, I need to print out
information, and receive text input.  I've been sendning those things to the
command prompt, but it's
a hassle flipping back and forth from my
graphical game window to the text window, and vice versa.  So, my questions
are these:

1.  I know there are various widget sets in the works for pyGame.  All I
need is text output and input.  Do you have opinions on what widget set
would be best?  Would it
be easier to roll my own?  Is there functionality
in pyGame itself that I could use for this?  I've looked at a few programs
for examples, but I haven't found anything really useful yet.

2.  Failing a suitable alternative, and just for my general knowledge, is
there a way to direct pyGame to bring a window to the front?  For instance,
I press a button on my
game window, and it brings up an input prompt
in the python interpreter window, but the window is still behind the game
window.  Is there a way to tell the command prompt to grab focus, and then
when it has its input,
to give focus back to the game window?

3.  Ok, I'm a newbie, and most people here would only find bad code to fix,
rather than stuff to learn from.  But if anyone wants to see my code, I can
also put it up on the
web...

Thanks in advance for any help,
Chris