[pygame] ** Newbie ** Questions re: text windows and input fields

Hello all,
	I am a pyGame newbie (using it about a week), writing a simple map editor for an RPG-style game.  I have found pyGame incredibly easy to use; it's really
jumpstarted my coding.  But there is one area where I
need some direction.  While running my program, I need to print out information, and receive text input.  I've been sendning those things to the command prompt, but it's
a hassle flipping back and forth from my
graphical game window to the text window, and vice versa.  So, my questions are these:

1.  I know there are various widget sets in the works for pyGame.  All I need is text output and input.  Do you have opinions on what widget set would be best?  Would it
be easier to roll my own?  Is there functionality
in pyGame itself that I could use for this?  I've looked at a few programs for examples, but I haven't found anything really useful yet.

2.  Failing a suitable alternative, and just for my general knowledge, is there a way to direct pyGame to bring a window to the front?  For instance, I press a button on my
game window, and it brings up an input prompt
in the python interpreter window, but the window is still behind the game window.  Is there a way to tell the command prompt to grab focus, and then when it has its input,
to give focus back to the game window?

3.  Ok, I'm a newbie, and most people here would only find bad code to fix, rather than stuff to learn from.  But if anyone wants to see my code, I can also put it up on the
web...

Thanks in advance for any help,
Chris