Re: [pygame] OS X Setup Questions.

On Jan 13, 2004, at 7:53 AM, Niko Matsakis wrote:

I have looked through the mail archives, but even so I can't seem to get pygame
set up so that I run chimp.py and get the sound and fonts, though I have the
video working on OS X. At this point I've installed enough packages that I've
almost forgotten what was installed where and when. I also can't run aliens.py
since it claims that the extended image package is required. I thought I had
SDL_image installed, but perhaps there are environment variables I'm missing?
Or other libraries?

I would like to see a simple HOWTO for OS X users; I'd be willing to write one
but I can't figure out what to do.

I guess I'm asking for some assistance to get things setup! If I can collect
the steps into a more straightforward document I will. Or perhaps one already
exists that I missed.

To my knowledge I have installed

SDL
SDL_image
SDL_ttf
SDL_mixer
pygame
Numeric
PIL
libjpeg

Oh yeah, and I tried the MacPython installation process but it didn't really
work for me. It gave an obscure error message telling me why it couldn't
download the file and I gave up on it. This might be because I had things
partially installed when I started, though I told it to Force installation.
smpeg
PyOpenGL
PyObjC

Make sure to read the FAQ ( http://pythonmac.org/wiki/FAQ ) if you're having MacPython issues, and/or search the pythonmac-sig archives at python.org.

The simple HOWTO is to use PackageManager. You probably need to change the permissions on some folders, installation of certain components will fail (Numeric and PyObjC I think) with WriteableBin or WriteableInclude errors. I'm not sure if those are specifically mentioned on the FAQ yet or not, but since the words are concatenated and writable isn't spelled correctly a google search will probably only have relevant hits.

Force installation almost never works, don't bother.

-bob