Re: [pygame] Ocemp

On, Tue Jan 03, 2006, Stefan Elwesthal wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Since there has been some traffic about Ocemp - I would be like to
> hear some comments about it? ( A standard WidgetLibrary for pygame
> would be very nice in my opinion)

Great library, thumbs up ;-).

> I certainly dont know if that should be Ocemp (it doesn't install in
> Ubuntu since I need to create somekind of Makefile in
> /usr/lib/python24 first) but I was going to try the other example in a
> minute ;-)

Tell your ubuntu maintainers, that something is weird then. OcempGUI
uses the default python paradigm of installing itself and does fine on
several systems (on which python is installed properly and not a lousy
splitted package mess).

> So, what's the opinion? Is it even needed?

As project lead of OcempGUI I would say no, not in my opinion. The main
problems I see, are:

* What kind of GUI engine should be used (Sprite-based, like OcempGUI,
  (Sub)Surface-based like pgu, only implement the logics, etc.pp.)?
* How much GUI features should it incorporate (simple and only the
  minimum basics like S.J. Brown's or Mike Leonhard's or many features
  like pgu or OcempGUI)?
* How much abstraction is wanted?
* How flexible should it be?
* Who will take care of the maintenance?

Also any developer using pygame has a different view of how the GUI
should fit into his own scenario, how it should behave, what its
capabilities should be, etc.pp..

Each existing GUI library for pygame has another approach of doing
things, too. Each one has a different development focus. As pygame is
understood as a SDL wrapper with a (nice) basic set of graphics and
multimedia abilities, integrating a GUI would mean: serving the most
necessary parts of it in order to not annoy users with defaults that are
ot wanted or missing features.

A minimalistic set however would lead to a sort of unusable GUI design
as large parts have to be implemented by the user, if he does not want
to stay with the defaults (which mostly will not fit). This in turn would
lead to (some) unhappy users again, who say that the module is
superfluous and so on.

To summarize the said: I think it would lead to more problems and
requests for the pygame developers than it would solve.

Just my two cents.

Regards
Marcus