[pygame] Strange Error with Mixer on FreeBSD

Hello,
I have a laptop with a PCI sound card running the current stable build of FreeBSD (6.0) that seems to support normal audio (e.g., it plays CDs now that I load the proper kernel sound file plugin... uh... thing at boot).  When I tried:

import pygame
from pygame.locals import *

pygame.init()

It seemed to work fine, but spat out the line:

Audio write:  Invalid argument

Then, when I instantiated a Sound object and tried to .play() it, instead of hearing audio, I got something like <Channel object at xad9as8fd098f>

I tried Googling for assistance, but couldn't find anything pertinent.

Any thoughts?
Thank you,
--
Andrew Ulysses Baker