Re: [pygame] Strange Error with Mixer on FreeBSD

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 22:59 -0800, andrew baker wrote:
> I have a laptop with a PCI sound card running the current stable build
> of FreeBSD (6.0) that seems to support normal audio (e.g., it plays
> CDs now that I load the proper kernel sound file plugin... uh... thing
> at boot).  When I tried:
> pygame.init()
> Audio write:  Invalid argument

SDL has a pretty long list of sound backends for unix systems. It is
probably trying some backend that fails strangely on BSD? I would try
forcing the correct backend with SDL_AUDIODRIVER instead of letting SDL
auto probe?

> Then, when I instantiated a Sound object and tried to .play() it,
> instead of hearing audio, I got something like <Channel object at
> xad9as8fd098f>

When you call Sound.play() it returns the Channel object that the sound
used for playback, so this still sounds ok from the Pygame end, I think
the SDL sound just isn't running correctly?