[pygame] searching for free public domain graphics to use for pygame - project

Hello,
sorry if this question is old/stupid but i was unable to find an answer:
i look for websites offering free public domain graphics (sprites, backgrounds, monsters, missiles..) to use with pygame.
I want to make an open-source (GPL) game but i'm interested in graphics i could use for an commercial project too.

I found that www.openclipart.org has not much for my taste and as far as i understood the EULA of the Microsoft clip art gallery i am not allowed to use the Microsoft clip arts for commercial projects other than websites / ms documents.

Is there some obvious site with lots of graphics that i simple don't know about ?
greetings,
/Horst