Re: [pygame] New GUI

On Jan 22, 2008, at 12:27 PM, Kamilche wrote:

Casey Duncan wrote:

My own pygame dev being at the hobby-level, I can't say that I would have much interest in a commercial add-on to pygame myself. However, I would be interested in a high-level overview of what you found wrong with the existing guis and how your solution does not suffer from these perceived problems. From a business standpoint, you might have trouble marketing such a thing in the face of the incumbent free solutions, regardless of how superior it might be. The dual-pricing scheme that Laura mentioned could help encourage adoption. Another option might be two versions, a bare-bones open source library that is functional but has few bells and whistles (perhaps lacking the gui builder), and a commercial upgrade that has everything anyone could want.

Yeah, that's true. I wish there had been something like mine available at the time I started my project - I would certainly have used it and saved myself lots of trouble.

When push comes to shove, the worst drawback of all the Pygame GUI's, is not having a GUI builder. It's offensive to me, to have to write code to draw a screen!

Interesting, I actually prefer that. I typically find code generation offensive. Ideally (In my mind) a GUI that had GUI builder would not require it. Funny how different people are sometimes 8^). That said, I want a system that is highly automated and "just works" for the typical case, not requiring reams of code and refactoring of my game just to get started.

I know lots of people would love this GUI I put out, and it existence would help promote the Python language as a whole. But you're right, there are lots of free GUI's out there. If I do end up making it available, I'll probably do something like 'free for free software projects, but if it's used in a commercial or shareware software project, there's a licensing fee of $100 per developer' or some such thing.

I myself am pretty sensitive about licenses. You could have the best software ever written, but if the licensing is too difficult for me to understand or has too many arbitrary restrictions I'll use something else or go write my own. Also licenses have a strong affect on whether I want to contribute to a project, regardless of whether I use it or not. What's my motivation to contribute to something that makes money for someone else? These are all things to consider.

I'm not sure whether or not to release it. There's a difference between 'Good enough to use in house' and 'Good enough to sell, complete with examples, documentation, and help.'

Indeed, releasing things is hard sometimes. Setting realistic expectations helps though, as does a demonstrated commitment to keeping the thing going over time.

What I REALLY want, is people to collaborate on it with me, adding enhancements and new controls. I suppose I could just get it out there in base form, but with the licensing in place, and see if enough people are inspired by it to make it take off.

Making a community around a project is very rewarding and a lot of work. It also requires you to give up some amount of ownership and control over your project. Opensource is the ultimate meritocracy though, if its useful, they will come.

Also with guis the barrier to entry (i.e., hello world and something useful) needs to be pretty low for it to catch on. It needs to not dictate how I write my whole game, it needs to be easy to integrate with an existing (py)game. It needs to make common things easy and hard things possible, etc. Mostly it needs to stay out of my way and let me do it the way that is right for me. Pygame itself is successful IMO largely because it gets these things right.

-Casey