Re: making windows compilation easier Re: [pygame] When is pygame 1.8 coming out?

Actually it has gotten easier. I automated the dependency build process using a single standalone Python program, build_deps.py. All that is needed is to obtain the necessary libraries and MinGW/Msys tools. The builder will first reconfigure MinGW for msvcr71.dll. Then it will build all the libraries and install them into the Msys directory structure. All this can be done from the Windows command prompt. Expect it to take several hours though. Next the Pygame config.py script is run from the Msys console. Make sure the Python directory is in the Msys PATH. Finally setup.py can be run from the command prompt to build and install Pygame itself. All the necessary libraries will be copied to the pygame package.

build_deps.py is included in with the Pygame source at SVN. But if there is the interest I will consider releasing a prebuilt dependencies zip file. Then only MinGW is needed.

Lenard

René Dudfield wrote:
Nice work!

I haven't tried it yet, but

Instructions for building on windows with the free native gcc
compiler(mingw) are here:
http://pygame.org/wiki/MingW