Re: [pygame] LAN vs Internet

In Galcon I don't support "LAN without internet" games.  I've gotten some requests to add that feature, but not loads.  Keep in mind that you'll still have to use the UDP discovery process to join a LAN game after you get a list from your website (or whatever) because their LAN address will probably be 192.168... instead of whatever your NAT's address is.

-Phil

David <dvkeeney@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have been making gentle progress towards a networking module for my
game, but have doubts about the value of my approach.

I have been working toward the goal of having a module that will find
peers on a LAN, via a UDP discovery process, or on an internet server.
The game is basically a one-on-one contest, so the player-finding
process is just to setup matches, and not as a many-playered universe.

The UDP discovery process makes the whole module much more complex,
and I am wondering whether it has any real value.

Do any of you play network games on a LAN that is *not* internet
connected? How common is that usage case?

I ask, because if LANs are generally internet connected, the game can
just use an internet server to find competitors, including those
within that LAN.

Thoughts?

David
--
dkeeney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pitcher's Duel -> pitchersduel.python-hosting.com