Re: [pygame] LAN vs Internet

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 12:43:45PM -0500, David wrote:
> Do any of you play network games on a LAN that is *not* internet
> connected?  How common is that usage case?
>
> I ask, because if LANs are generally internet connected, the game can
> just use an internet server to find competitors, including those
> within that LAN.
>
> Thoughts?

I will offer that my own lan is sliced in half by NAT (one half being
the wired network, and the other half being the NATed wireless) and on
top of that, many of the boxes run their own personal firewalls.

So I can't speak for others, but for myself, the UDP discovery thing
would not be very usable.

Though being able to run a "local" server when an internet server was
unavailable would be desireable.

---
James Paige