[pygame] LAN vs Internet

I have been making gentle progress towards a networking module for my
game, but have doubts about the value of my approach.

I have been working toward the goal of having a module that will find
peers on a LAN, via a UDP discovery process, or on an internet server.
 The game is basically a one-on-one contest, so the player-finding
process is just to setup matches, and not as a many-playered universe.

The UDP discovery process makes the whole module much more complex,
and I am wondering whether it has any real value.

Do any of you play network games on a LAN that is *not* internet
connected?  How common is that usage case?

I ask, because if LANs are generally internet connected, the game can
just use an internet server to find competitors, including those
within that LAN.

Thoughts?

David
--
dkeeney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pitcher's Duel -> pitchersduel.python-hosting.com