Re: [pygame] speculation: a JIT for Pygame

Is spending a lot of effort on software blitters the right strategy for pygame? It seems like SDL 1.3 is moving in the direction of API-based rendering, which wouldn't benefit much from new software blitters. I'm not sure it makes sense to make pygame bigger and harder to compile, only to duplicate functionality provided by hardware.

By API-based rendering, I mean things like OpenGL and DirectX, which generally are accelerated by hardware. But you also have renderers like Mesa, which (IIRC) is moving to use LLVM to accelerate blitting, as proposed above.