Re: [pygame] GSOC 2011 ideas for pygame

On 01/26/2011 11:43 PM, Lenard Lindstrom wrote:
Hi,

py2exe and py2app create standalone Python executables for Windows and OS X respectively. They package Python and a program together so the program can be run without installing Python first. Getting py2exe and py2app include all the required Pygame extension modules and their dependencies is tricky. Having a profiler or something that can analyze a game and then write a setup.py for py2exe or py2app may be useful. It would be an exercise in meta-programming I suppose.

http://www.py2exe.org/
http://svn.pythonmac.org/py2app/py2app/trunk/doc/index.html

I have just started an new GSoC 2011 page at the Pygame wiki: http://www.pygame.org/wiki/gsoc2011ideas

This will keep track of the proposals. Everyone, please add to as needed.

Lenard Lindstrom

Hi Lenard,

This sounds interesting.
When generating setup.py files for py2app i suppose there would be a
need for an OS X machine at one's disposal, i don't have one.

But py2exe could be worked upon. Also , is there a need for
a single installer wizard for pygame for the various linux distros ?
If so, that interests me a lot , and would be great if i could work on the same.

I am also looking at the pygame bugtracker http://pygame.motherhamster.org/bugzilla/query.cgi
to see, if there are any issues, that i can patch, as a preliminary.

regards,
Kunal