Re: [pygame] Mac OS X?

On Friday, July 5, 2002, at 01:57 AM, Michael Hudson wrote:

> So what really is involved in getting pygame going on Mac OS X?
> (a) running pygame under X (installed from fink)

Haven't tried.  I would guess if sys.python == "darwin" under this case
you'd get decisions that thought you were trying to do b, so let's get
to that, since it's what you're interested in. However, if you got this
to work you might be able to modify pygame to work from an interpreted
Python session, which doesn't currently work in the Cocoa style.  Then
again, it may just be easier to fix the Cocoa side to let you use
interactive Python. And I'd sure appreciate that contribution!

> (b) running pygame under aqua

This works, although it's a bit rough around the edges.  The latest CVS
pygame (without some of the goodies that come from the SDL_* libraries)
should build with the latest CVS version of SDL. Please let me know if
it doesn't work for you--I've just sent a patch to Pete, and I want to
make sure it works for others.  Without getting the other SDL_*
libraries, I think you might need to comment out a few lines in the
Setup file after config.py builds it for you. I recommend going this
route rather than Bob Ippolito's pygame-1.3.4 kitchensink distro
(available at http://redivi.com/~bob ) because SDL runs a lot better on
a more Macs/video cards than it did in December/Januray when Bob made
that distro.

Getting the rest of the pygame (the bits that use the other SDL_* and
SMPEG libraries) works as well, with the exception of SDL_Image, in my
hands.

I hesitate to recommend my own kitchensink distribution for general use
because I didn't do such a nice job as Bob and built it with a lot of
static libraries rather than Mac OS X frameworks, but if you're willing
to deal with that, it does have last week's SDL.  Also, if you're
looking for PyOpenGL, it has OpenGL.GL, but not the rest, because I'm
having a hell of a time wrestling with that python!  (Bob beat that one,
however, and he's got everything in PyOpenGL working.) You can my own
kitchensink release at http://www.visionegg.org and go to the Mac OS X
install details page.  I plan on polishing this up in the future.

Cheers!
Andrew