Re: [pygame] Mac OS X?

Andrew Straw <andrew.straw@adelaide.edu.au> writes:

> On Friday, July 5, 2002, at 01:57 AM, Michael Hudson wrote:
>
> > So what really is involved in getting pygame going on Mac OS X?
> > (a) running pygame under X (installed from fink)
>
> Haven't tried.  I would guess if sys.python == "darwin" under this case
> you'd get decisions that thought you were trying to do b, so let's get
> to that, since it's what you're interested in.

OK.  But config.py finds /sw/bin/sdl-config, which I can't imagine
helps.

I guess I should uninstall fink's SDL...

> However, if you got this to work you might be able to modify pygame
> to work from an interpreted Python session, which doesn't currently
> work in the Cocoa style.  Then again, it may just be easier to fix
> the Cocoa side to let you use interactive Python. And I'd sure
> appreciate that contribution!

I don't know much about Mac OS X programming.  Yet.  I'd like to
learn, but...

> > (b) running pygame under aqua
>
> This works, although it's a bit rough around the edges.  The latest CVS
> pygame (without some of the goodies that come from the SDL_* libraries)
> should build with the latest CVS version of SDL.

Ah.  I currently have the latest releases of both sitting around --
you're saying their not new enough?  Fair enough.

Also what sort of Python should I build?  A framework build?  Or
should I try to use the MacPython distro?

> Please let me know if it doesn't work for you--I've just sent a
> patch to Pete, and I want to make sure it works for others.  Without
> getting the other SDL_* libraries, I think you might need to comment
> out a few lines in the Setup file after config.py builds it for
> you. I recommend going this route rather than Bob Ippolito's
> pygame-1.3.4 kitchensink distro (available at http://redivi.com/~bob
> ) because SDL runs a lot better on a more Macs/video cards than it
> did in December/Januray when Bob made that distro.

OK.  Will try.

> Getting the rest of the pygame (the bits that use the other SDL_* and
> SMPEG libraries) works as well, with the exception of SDL_Image, in my
> hands.
>
> I hesitate to recommend my own kitchensink distribution for general use
> because I didn't do such a nice job as Bob and built it with a lot of
> static libraries rather than Mac OS X frameworks, but if you're willing
> to deal with that, it does have last week's SDL.  Also, if you're
> looking for PyOpenGL, it has OpenGL.GL, but not the rest, because I'm
> having a hell of a time wrestling with that python!  (Bob beat that one,
> however, and he's got everything in PyOpenGL working.) You can my own
> kitchensink release at http://www.visionegg.org and go to the Mac OS X
> install details page.  I plan on polishing this up in the future.

I might resort to that... I actually want to *use* pygame, not hack on
it... but I'll try getting it build first.

Cheers,
M.